Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Writing in Movies

Many of you have probably seen this movie (it's four years old), but I just watched Adaptation this Sunday. I wrote a rambling review of it on my blog, but the main thing I thought might interest my fellow writers was the presence of meta-fiction in the movie. Nicolas Cage, playing the screenwriter Charlie Kaufman, spends the movie writing the movie. This is the same guy who did Being John Malcovich and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, so it's no surprise that the movie is playful, intelligent and ultimately bizarre.

I tried to think of other examples of meta-fiction in film and failed. Maybe I just haven't seen enough movies. Can anyone else think of any?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fellini's "8 1/2" is widely regarded as the foremost meta-film. Adaptation won't seem as clever after you experience "8 1/2." They are both fantastic films in my humble opinion, though. There are some visually inventive sequences in "Adaptation" that I really admire.